Hearing that you’re facing a charge for racing on highways in South Florida can feel overwhelming, but the expert traffic crimes attorneys at Rossen Law Firm are here to aggressively fight your case.
What is a Racing on Highways Crime?
In Florida, “Racing on Highways” is when someone competitively drives a vehicle in a speed or acceleration contest, or engages in drag racing, or participates as a passenger or race facilitator in a car race on highways in Florida.
CONSEQUENCES OF RACING ON HIGHWAYS CRIMES IN SOUTH FLORIDA
Racing on Highways is a first degree misdemeanor in Fort Lauderdale, with penalties of up to 1 year in jail. In addition to possible incarceration, a plea to the charge of Street Racing will have the following consequences:
- For a first offense, there is a minimum $500 fine and maximum fine of $1,000.
- For a second offense, the minimum fine increases to $1,000, with a maximum fine of $3,000.
- License revocations if convicted
- Possible car confiscation
The Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles must revoke an offender’s driving license for at least 1 year upon conviction. For subsequent offenses, the revocation period can increase to 4 years.
Any car used in violation of the statute by any person within 5 years after the date of a prior conviction may be seized and forfeited as provided by the Florida Contraband Forfeiture Act. This provision is only applicable if the person charged is also the owner of the car.
RACING ON HIGHWAYS CRIMINAL DEFENSE ATTORNEY IN SOUTH FLORIDA
If you’re facing charges for racing on highways in South Florida – you’ve come to the right place. Rossen Law Firm has extensive experience providing a compassionate and expert defense to Florida traffic crimes of all sorts, including drag racing and racing on highways.
While these situations can feel isolating, many others have been where you are, and Adam and his team has helped them come out the other side successfully.
Give our office a call if you’re facing Fort Lauderdale racing on highway charges. We’ll listen to your story, discuss the best course of action for you and see what resources may help you. You do not want to face street racing charges on your own. One mistake shouldn’t have the power to ruin your life – and we’ll fight to make sure it doesn’t.
Racing on Highways Defenses in Florida
- Careless Driving: Non-criminal traffic maneuvers (i.e. passing, accelerating, changing lanes). Evidence indicating mere careless or negligent driving (instead of reckless or racing behavior) can be used as a defense.
- Lack of Intent: When another driver intends to race, but the defendant does not, the lack of intent can be used as a defense method.
- Speeding: Charges solely based on excessive speed alone are not sufficient to uphold a conviction. Unless there is evidence of competition, speeding can be used as a defense.
Free Racing on Highways Criminal Defense Strategy Session in South Florida
We handle street racing cases of all types. We know how to protect your rights and provide you with a personalized and aggressive defense to your criminal charges.
Our firm provides FREE strategy sessions so you know how we’ll work to beat your case. We believe in actually showing you how we can achieve the best results for you.
HOW WE WIN TRAFFIC CRIMES CASES IN FLORIDA
- Learn how we got Aggravated Fleeing and Eluding reduced to a misdemeanor in Broward County, Florida.
- Learn how Rossen Law Firm got a Not Guilty verdict at Trial for Aggravated Fleeing and Eluding in Pompano Beach, Florida.