What is Insurance Fraud Crime?
Insurance fraud is a theft crime and occurs when a person makes false insurance claims in order to obtain compensation or benefits to which they do not qualify for. There are many types of insurance fraud such as health insurance, car insurance, life insurance and property insurance; to name a few.
There are 3 elements of an insurance fraud theft charge that must be found prior to a conviction:
- The accused must have knowingly made a false or misleading statement.
- The statement is made in connection with a claim or payment made or to be made under the terms of an insurance policy.
- The statement is relevant or of importance, to the insurance payment or claim.
Find the legal definition of theft on our theft page.
CONSEQUENCES OF INSURANCE FRAUD CRIMES IN SOUTH FLORIDA
False insurance claims affect the nation as a whole, not just insurance companies. Because of this, Florida punishes those who commit insurance fraud harshly.
If the fraudulent claim is valued at less than $20,000, the crime of insurance fraud is a third-degree felony. A third-degree felony carries consequences of up to 5 years in prison and fines of up to $5,000.
If the fraud is valued at more than $20,000 but less than $100,000, the crime of insurance fraud is a second-degree felony. A second-degree felony carries consequences of up to 15 years in prison and fines of up to $10,000.
If the fraud is valued at more than $100,000 or more, the crime of Insurance Fraud is a first-degree felony. A first-degree felony carries consequences of up to 30 years in prison and fines of up to $1,000.
In addition to any criminal punishment, if you are convicted of violating insurance profits from a motor vehicle insurance agreement you are also subject to a civil penalty, which will mean additional fines.
CONTACT AN INSURANCE FRAUD CRIMINAL DEFENSE ATTORNEY
If you’re facing an insurance fraud charge in Fort Lauderdale – you’ve come to the right place. Rossen Law Firm is known to provide its clients with a “first-class” criminal defense experience in South Florida.
We believe charges for insurance fraud are not the actions of a violent criminal. We know life is challenging and falsifying claims for benefits can sometimes seem like the best route to get out of a tough place.
We believe that bad things happen to good people. If this is you, please give our office a call. You do not want to face insurance fraud charges on your own. One mistake shouldn’t have the capability to alter your life completely- and if you hire us we will make sure it does not.
Insurance Fraud Defenses in Fort Lauderdale
- Lack of Knowledge: The main goal of insurance fraud defense is to defraud it. If you are charged with the crime of insurance fraud, the State must prove that the accused had knowledge of the fraud they were committing. Without that proof, the defense of lack of knowledge can be used and serve as a complete defense to the crime of insurance fraud. Being unaware of the law is not a defense of itself, but it certainly aids the argument and allows your defense attorney to prove you did not know you were committing the crime of insurance fraud.
Free Insurance Fraud Criminal Defense Strategy Session in Fort Lauderdale
We handle many insurance fraud cases. We are incredibly knowledgeable of the law and know how to protect your rights. We always strive for greatness and to provide the best defense against our client’s insurance fraud charges.
We offer our potential clients FREE strategy sessions to show them the effort that will be put in to get the best results for their criminal charges. Contact a South Florida insurance fraud lawyer today.
HOW WE WIN INSURANCE FRAUD CASES
- Learn how we got a Miami Insurance Fraud Case dismissed without arrest, and hit and run charges dropped.
- Rossen Law Firm got an Insurance Fraud charge completely dropped in South Florida.
- Learn how we got insurance fraud charges dropped and the criminal record sealed in Fort Lauderdale.