Are you facing federal health care fraud charges in South Florida? If you were recently contacted by federal law enforcement, the FBI, or were notified that you’re under investigation for any form of health care fraud, you’re in the right place.
Whether you’re already facing federal charges or believe you’re under investigation, it’s never too early to bring on a South Florida federal health care fraud federal lawyer. The sooner you hire an attorney, the better the chances are that you get the best possible outcome on your case. Better yet, if you hire a federal fraud attorney while still under investigation, we may be able to prevent you from getting arrested or charged with a federal health care crime in the first place.
What is a Federal Health Care Fraud Crime?
Federal Law makes it a federal crime to defraud a health care program or to fraudulently obtain any money or services, according to 18 U.S.C. § 1347. For example, it’s a crime to lie about your income level in order to qualify for medicaid and then receive federal health benefits for which you don’t qualify. Medicare fraud also includes a person knowingly submitting false claims or making false representations to obtain a federal health care payment or reimbursement for which that person is not entitled to.
As a Fort Lauderdale attorney could explain, there are also federal laws prohibiting health care providers from making false claims or statements to the federal government, such as seeking false reimbursement claims.
COMMON HEALTH CARE FRAUD CRIMES IN SOUTH FLORIDA
Health Care Fraud costs the nation 10’s of billions of dollars each year, according to the FBI. Health care fraud can be committed by medical providers, patients and anyone else who intentionally deceives the healthcare system to receive unlawful benefits or payments.
Rossen Law Firm primarily handles health care fraud cases in Broward and Palm Beach counties, but don’t hesitate to reach out if you’ve been charged with any of federal health care crime crimes and are looking for award-winning defense attorneys to fight for you and protect your future.
- There are many types of medicaid fraud, both for medical providers and for beneficiaries. For example, a health provider can commit medicaid fraud by intentionally billing for unnecessary medical services or items. A beneficiary of medicaid could commit fraud by sharing their Medicaid ID with someone else so another person can obtain medical services, as one example.
- Medicare fraud includes a person knowingly submitting false claims or making false representations to obtain a federal health care payment or reimbursement that the person is not entitled to.
- Often referred to as a “Pill Mill,” a prescription drug fraud crime involves a doctor knowingly and intentionally distributing a controlled substance other than in the usual course of practice and for a legitimate medical purpose. This could mean prescribing something that’s out of their practice area or to someone without a medical need for the prescription.
CONSEQUENCES & PENALTIES OF HEALTH CARE FRAUD CRIMES
If convicted, federal health care fraud crimes often come with serious fines and federal prison sentences.
A skilled South Florida Health Care Fraud Defense Attorney is important to making sure that you and your future are protected and that your criminal exposure and potential fines and prison time is minimized.
Here are some penalty options for Health Care Fraud crimes:
- In general, a false medicaid claim can lead to civil penalties of $5,000 to $10,000 PLUS three times the amount of the damages the government sustained due to the crime.
- If convicted, you could be looking at 5-10 years in prison per conviction, and at fines as high as $250,000.
Prescription Drug Fraud:
- Could lead to 1-20 years in prison if convicted and a minimum penalty of $100,000 and up to $5 million in court fines is possible
HEALTH CARE FRAUD FEDERAL DEFENSE ATTORNEY IN FORT LAUDERDALE
We don’t leave a single stone unturned when it comes to building your defense against the U.S. government’s or health care criminal allegations against you.
If you’re looking for a skilled, award-winning South Florida health care fraud federal attorney- you’re in the right place. We work to help you achieve your best future by minimizing your risk of prison and fines so you can get back to living the life you love.
Health Care Fraud Crime Defense Strategies
Being charged with a health care fraud crime in Florida in no way indicates that you will be convicted of the crime – and having a great federal attorney helps to maximize the chance that you will suffer minimal consequences.
There are numerous defense strategies that can be employed to protect you, your rights, and your future from the threat of federal allegations, charges and convictions.
Free Health Care Fraud Defense Consultation in South Florida
We offer Free Consultations (we call them Strategy Sessions) to anyone facing a federal health care fraud criminal allegation in South Florida.
We go above and beyond a free consultation by offering a free strategy session in which we listen to your whole story and learn everything we can about your case and let you know how we’d get to work to defend you. You’ll know what kind of strategy we’d employ to protect your future – you learn all this before you ever pay Rossen Law Firm a single penny. Contact a South Florida federal health care fraud lawyer today to get started.
HOW WE WIN FEDERAL & CRIMINAL DEFENSE CASES IN FLORIDA
- Rossen Law Firm helped a man avoid minimum prison time for a Federal Child Porn possession charge in South Florida.
- Rossen Law Firm gets Credit Card fraud case dropped in Boca Raton, Florida.
- A Mother & Son’s Insurance Fraud Charges Dropped in Fort Lauderdale.