Are you facing Federal Mail Fraud charges in Fort Lauderdale? Chances are you feel overwhelmed.
Facing federal charges with federal agents involved in the prosecution process is scary, but you’re in the right place. Rossen Law Firm can defend you against your Federal Mail Fraud allegation.
A major part of our practice is dedicated to Federal Crimes in Florida. Our South Florida federal mail fraud lawyers work with you to create a defense strategy that is completely unique to your case and you.
What is a Federal Mail Fraud Crime in Fort Lauderdale?
Mail Fraud is planning, creating, or carrying out a scheme to defraud someone for money or property by using the United States Postal Service or through private carriers by offering products, services, or investment opportunities that do not live up to what it says. Mail fraud is classified as a Federal crime in the State of Florida (and all states).
Examples of mail fraud can include sweepstakes solicitations for a prize or vacation, charity, insurance or even medical fraud. It can also include fake checks and government mailer look-alikes.
Under Federal Law 940. 18 U.S.C. Section 1341 – There are two elements to mail fraud:
- Having devised or intending to devise a scheme to defraud or perform specified fraudulent acts.
- Use of the mail for the purpose of executing, or attempting to execute the scheme or specified fraudulent acts.
CONSEQUENCES OF FEDERAL MAIL FRAUD
It’s critical to start working with a criminal attorney if you’re facing Federal Mail Fraud allegations in South Florida, as Mail Fraud is a serious crime with serious penalties.
Consequences and penalties of Federal Mail crime charges include:
- Federal mail fraud can result in prison sentences of up to 20 years.
- Federal mail fraud can result in fines up to $250,000.
- Probation sentences of 1 to 3 years are possible. Probation includes monitoring, random home searches and random drug testing. You must also avoid being around any known criminals and not committing other crimes during your probation sentence.
- Restitution payments can be ordered to the victim to recover losses in addition to fines and probation.
- For crimes that include benefits for declared natural disaster or emergencies the fines may be up to $1 million and 30 years in prison.
FEDERAL MAIL FRAUD ATTORNEY IN SOUTH FLORIDA
We don’t leave a single stone unturned when it comes to building your defense case against the U.S. government’s mail fraud allegations against you.
Before we even let certain evidence enter the courtroom, we do our own investigation and challenge everything we can to weaken the prosecution’s case against you.
Federal Mail Fraud Defense Strategies
To be convicted of a Federal Mail Fraud crime, federal prosecutors must be able to prove the following:
- That you knowingly devised or knowingly were part of the mail fraud scheme you’ve been charged with
- False or Fraudulent representations, promises, or pretenses were offered as fact in the fraudulent mailings
- You willfully acted with the intent to defraud
- You used USPS or private carriers for the purpose of executing your mail fraud scheme to defraud people.
If prosecution can not prove that you intended to defraud someone then they have no case. Part of a solid defense strategy then can include a federal mail fraud defense attorney proving that you didn’t intend to defraud someone.
Another defense tactic that can be used is if you just did what you were told to do and were unaware that you were actually committing fraud. For example, perhaps your boss put fraudulent activity in an envelope then had you mail it out, but you are unaware of what’s in the mail. Then you would not be held liable for mail fraud and this lack of knowledge can be used to defend you.
Set Up Your Free Federal Mail Fraud Defense Strategy Session in South Florida
Our team specializes in handling Federal Mail fraud cases. Our Fort Lauderdale federal mail fraud lawyres use aggressive, award-winning criminal defense tactics to look out for you and create a unique defense strategy.
HOW WE WIN FEDERAL & CRIMINAL DEFENSE CASES
- Rossen Law Firm helped a man avoid minimum prison time for a Federal Child Porn possession charge in South Florida.
- Rossen Law Firm gets Credit Card fraud case dropped in Boca Raton, Florida.
- A Mother & Son’s Insurance Fraud Charges Dropped in Fort Lauderdale.