Your right to bear arms is protected under the Second Amendment. The State has passed laws regulating the possession of firearms such as guns and other weapons. Without a license or proper verification, the penalties for weapon crimes can get serious very quickly. That is why if you or a loved one has been charged or is being investigated for a weapons crime it is important you act fast and hire a skilled weapons criminal defense law firm, such as Rossen Law Firm to handle your case. We have extensive experience in all spectrums of weapon and gun charges.
Criminal charges can be incredibly devastating and difficult to bear. If you or someone you know has been arrested for a weapon charge in Fort Lauderdale, the possibility of jail, obtaining a lawyer, and how this charge could affect your future can certainly be overpowering. We are here to reassure you that the criminal defense attorneys at Rossen Law Firm are here to lend a supportive and experienced hand.
Schedule a Free Consultation with a knowledgeable South Florida weapon crimes lawyer today.
What is a Weapons Crime?
In recent decades, reportings regarding the phenomenon of mass shootings in highly public places such as schools, airports, and concerts have increased excessively. Due to this, the laws revolving weapon crimes have shifted and become forcefully prosecuted.
As a South Florida attorney can further explain, State Law prohibits a number of weapon crimes that involve the possession, purchase, or use of an illegal weapon or firearm.
According to the Florida Statute 790.001, a firearm is categorized as any weapon which will or is designed to, or may readily be converted to discharge a bullet by the action of an explosive. A weapon is any knife, metallic knuckles, slungshot, tear gas gun, chemical weapon or device, or other deadly weapons except a firearm or a common pocketknife, plastic knife, or blunt-bladed table knife.
COMMON CRIMES INVOLVING WEAPONS IN SOUTH FLORIDA
Improper Exhibition of a Firearm or Weapon:
- Improper Exhibition of a Firearm or Weapon occurs when a person has or carries a dagger, sword, sword cane, firearm, electric weapon or device, or other weapons in the presence of one or more people, and displays rude, careless, angry, or threatening manners, not in necessary self-defense.
Discharging a Firearm in Public
- Discharging a Firearm in Public occurs when any person who knowingly and recklessly discharges a firearm in a public place or on the right-of-way of any paved public road, highway, or street, or street or over any occupied premises.
Risk Protection Order
- A risk protection order is a court order that requires someone who is deemed “at risk” to surrender their firearms to the authorities. The person must also give up their license to carry a concealed weapon.
Unlicensed Carrying a Concealed Firearm
- The crime of Unlicensed Carrying a Concealed Firearm occurs when a person is not licensed to carry a concealed firearm on or about his or her person.
Unlicensed Carrying a Concealed Weapon
- The crime of Unlicensed Carrying a Concealed Weapon occurs when a person is not licensed to carry a concealed, electric weapon or device on or about his or her person.
Shooting or Throwing Deadly Missiles
- The crime of Shooting into or throwing deadly missiles occurs when an individual maliciously shoots or throws deadly missiles into dwellings, public or private buildings, occupied or not occupied places to produce death or great bodily harm – destructive device.
False Bomb or Weapons Threat
- Falsely reporting that a bombing will occur, or that a weapon of mass destruction will be used, is a serious felony crime in Florida and could result in 15 years in prison.
Weapons on School Property
- Florida law prohibits a person who trespasses on school property from possessing a firearm and discharging or shooting it. It is a felony to have a weapon on school property – including any elementary or secondary school building/facility, any school, college, or professional athletic event not related to firearms, or any college or university facility.
Weapon Possession with Restraining Order
- In Florida, it’s illegal for someone under a restraining order – involving domestic violence, stalking or cyberstalking – to possess a firearm or ammunition.
Firearm Possession by a Convicted Felon
- The crime of Possession of a Firearm by a Convicted Felon occurs when a convicted felon found to have committed a crime knowingly carries, controls, possesses or owns a firearm
CONSEQUENCES OF CRIMES INVOLVING WEAPONS IN FORT LAUDERDALE
The most common Florida weapons crimes include unlicensed carry or concealment of a firearm, improper exhibition of a dangerous weapon, possession of a firearm by a convicted felon, and discharging a firearm in public.
Because there are so many violations of weapon crimes, there are a variety of consequences and punishments that follow.
For example, the weapons crime of Unlicensed Carrying a Concealed Weapon, a person who is not licensed to carry a concealed weapon, is a first-degree misdemeanor. A first-degree misdemeanor carries consequences of up to 1 year in jail and fines of up to $1,000.
On the other hand, one of the most serious gun offense includes the second-degree felony of Possession of a Firearm by a Convicted Felon. Second-degree felony charges carry potential consequences of up to 15 years in prison, and fines totaling up to $10,000, according to Florida law.
WEAPONS CRIMES CRIMINAL DEFENSE ATTORNEY IN SOUTH FLORIDA
If you or a loved one, are facing a weapons crimes charge – you’ve come to the right place. Rossen Law Firm has extensive experience providing a compassionate and expert defense to theft charges.
We understand that many of our clients are charged with weapon crimes due to the fact that they were simply trying to protect themselves and their property. If you’re facing weapon crime charges, give our office a call. We’ll listen to your story and discuss the best course of action for you. One mistake shouldn’t have the power to ruin your life, and we’re here to help ensure that’s true for you.
Free Criminal Defense Strategy Session
We have mastered the ability to handle a variety of weapon crime charges and we are known for our passionate work ethic and customer service that we provide for all of our clients.
We offer FREE strategy sessions so you can discover for yourself how committed we are to achieving the best results for your case.
See all locations Rossen Law Firm practices Weapons Crimes Defense.
HOW WE WIN LOCAL WEAPONS CRIMES CASES
- Learn how we got an aggravated assault with a firearm and carrying a concealed firearm charge DISMISSED in Pompano Beach, Florida.
- Learn how Rossen Law Firm got a domestic-related aggravated battery charge DROPPED in Florida.