What is a Drug Treatment Court in Fort Lauderdale or South Florida? Criminal Attorney Shares
In Florida, Drug Court is an incarceration alternative that can lead to your criminal charges being dismissed.
This means that treatment-based drug court is an alternative program that people who are struggling with addiction can participate in as an alternative to jail or prison time.
If a defendant is facing a Florida drug crime charge, or some other type of criminal charge that is related to their addiction, it is possible that they could be allowed into a Florida Drug Treatment Court problem. For the defendants that enter the judicial system due to their struggle with addiction to drugs or alcohol, they can get resources for help and treatment instead of punishment for the crime committed as a result of their addiction.
Drug treatment court in Florida offers defendants the opportunity to restore themselves as productive, non-criminal members of society.
Drug treatment court in Florida works through:
- A non-adversarial team approach (this means your lawyer and the legal system cooperatively work together for the best resolution for you and everyone is working for you to succeed)
- Combined with an intensive, judicially-monitored drug treatment program
What is included in a drug treatment court program in Florida?
According to the U.S. Department of Justice’s Office of Justice Programs, Drug Court programs, often just called “Drug Court” should have 10 key components:
- Drug Courts integrate alcohol and other drug treatment services with justice system case processing.
- Using a non-adversarial approach, prosecution and defense counsel promote public safety while protecting participants’ due process rights.
- Eligible participants are identified early and promptly placed in the drug court program.
- Drug Courts provide access to a continuum of alcohol, drug and other related treatment and rehabilitation services.
- Abstinence is monitored by frequent alcohol and other drug testing.
- A coordinated strategy governs drug court response to participants compliance.
- Ongoing judicial interaction with each drug court participant is essential.
- Monitoring and evaluation measure the achievement of program goals and gauge effectiveness.
- Continuing interdisciplinary education promotes effective drug court planning, implementation, and operations.
- Forging partnerships among drug courts, public agencies and community-based organizations generates local support and enhances drug court effectiveness.
Benefits of Drug Treatment Court programs in Florida?
If you are allowed to participate in a Drug Treatment Court in Florida, you have a great opportunity to clean up your criminal record. This is an incredible opportunity.
If you successfully complete the drug court treatment plan, the criminal charges against you will be dropped. If you have previous criminal charges or convictions on your record, those will not be erased — but whatever the charges are against you that allowed for you to get into drug court, those will be dropped when you successfully complete the program which is great news. Your record will be clean of that charge.
Are you facing criminal charges related to substance abuse issues?
Our law firm offers free consultations to anyone facing criminal charges in South Florida. If you or a loved one are facing criminal charges, especially ones that substance abuse issues may have contributed to, please don’t hesitate to give our firm a call.
Give us a Call Today to Schedule an Appointment for your Free Consultation:
South Florida Drug Crimes: How Rossen Law Firm Wins Cases
- Learn how Rossen Law Firm got a felony cocaine charge dropped in Fort Lauderdale, Florida.
- Learn how we got a felony marijuana delivery charge lowered to a misdemeanor in Boca Raton, Florida.
- Learn how Rossen Law Firm got a marijuana delivery charge dismissed with NO arrest in Fort Lauderdale, Florida.
- Learn how we got a possession of mushrooms charges dismissed in Pembroke Pines, Florida.
- Learn how Rossen Law Firm got a Possession of Cannabis over 20 grams and Drug Paraphernalia charge dismissed in Fort Lauderdale, Florida.