What is the Batterers’ Intervention Program? Fort Lauderdale Criminal Attorney Explains
Batterers’ Intervention Program in South Florida is a 26-week course designed to address the root causes of domestic violence and prevent participants from committing acts of domestic violence in the future.
It is monitored by the Florida Department of Children and Families and costs an individual between $700 and $1,000 to complete.
To get into the batter’s intervention program, you have to go through an initial assessment. The assessment includes a psychosocial evaluation to determine if you need any additional mental health or substance abuse treatment. Going through the batterers intervention program, if accepted, as well as mental health, substance abuse, or any other type of additional therapy are good moves for your personal health and great moves toward helping you get a good outcome in your criminal Florida domestic violence case.
You also have to sign a contract admitting responsibility for your actions and follow strict rules on class behavior and attendance.
There is a one-time orientation which is followed by 26 straight weeks of group counseling sessions.
Resources for Batterers in Florida:
- Here is a blog in which we’ve complied of South Florida resources for both batterers and victims of domestic violence.
- Florida Courts Provides a list of Batterers’ Intervention Program Providers in Florida :
- If you’re in Broward County, you want to check out the resources for the Seventeenth Judicial Circuit.
- If you’re in Miami-Dade County, you want to check out the resources for the Eleventh Judicial Circuit.
- If you’re in Palm Beach County, you want to check out the resources for the Fifteenth Judicial Circuit.
CONCLUSION: Batterers’ Intervention Program in Florida
If you are interested in learning more about batter’s intervention program, or how it applies to your specific case, give our office a call. We’re here to help.
We offer free strategy sessions to see how we can help you. Because of the serious consequences attached to domestic violence cases in Florida, it’s important to make sure you know your rights and have someone who’s fully on your side fighting for you.
Give us a call today: