How does a DUI charge affect a therapist in Florida?: South Florida DUI Lawyer Explains
If you’re a therapist in Florida arrested for a DUI, the repercussions can be very serious.
No matter what: Florida Therapists must report any Driving Under the Influence charges to the Florida Board of Clinical Social Work, Marriage & Family Therapy and Mental Health Counseling boards.
It doesn’t matter if a Florida therapist:
- was convicted or found guilty of DUI,
- regardless of an adjudication of DUI,
- or if he or she entered a plea of nolo contendere to a DUI charge
No matter the circumstances, as a therapist arrested for DUI, she or he still needs to report the arrest and outcome of their case to the Florida Board of Clinical Social Work, Marriage & Family Therapy and Mental Health Counseling.
For a therapist’s first DUI offense:
- The minimum discipline is a $1,000 fine and probation from practicing therapy in Florida for a therapist charged with a DUI. The maximum disciple is a $1,000 fine and a permanent revocation from practicing.
- This is in addition to the typical first-time DUI penalties that are possible in Florida. A first-time DUI can result in up to 1 year in jail if it was “serious,” such as involving a car crash.
For a therapist’s second DUI offense:
- The fine for a Florida Therapist’s second DUI is the same but the consequences include a 1 year suspension from practicing as a therapist.
- This is in addition to the typical second-time DUI penalties that are possible in Florida. A second-time DUI can result in up to 1 year in jail if it was “serious,” such as involving a car crash or a high breath test, etc.
For a therapist’s third DUI offense:
- The fine is $2,500 with a 2 year suspension from practicing or permanent revocation from practicing.
- This is in addition to the typical third-time DUI penalties that are possible in Florida. A third-time DUI can result in up to 1 year in jail if it was “serious,” such as involving a car crash or a high breath test, etc.
Learn more about general DUI consequences here: fines, jail time, and other DUI consequences.
Want to learn more about how DUI charges can affect professional licenses in Florida?
Visit our blog: “How to Protect Your Professional License and Yourself when Charged with DUI in Florida“.
Free DUI Defense Consultation with South Florida DUI Attorneys
We’ve successfully handled a variety of DUI charges and cases and are confident we can give you the results and aggressive defense you deserve and need to protect your liberty.
We offer a FREE consultation (which we call strategy sessions) to new clients interested in discussing the details of their case so you know how we plan to get the best possible outcome for you and your case.
Give us a call today to schedule a free consultation:
- Fort Lauderdale: (754) 206-6200
- Sunrise: (754) 999-2499
- Boca Raton: (561) 880-8181
See all locations Rossen Law Firm practices DUI Defense.
HOW WE WIN DUI CASES IN FLORIDA
- Learn how we fought for a Driving Under the Influence charged reduced to reckless driving in Boca Raton, Florida.
- Learn how Rossen Law Firm got a DUI charge REDUCED to reckless driving in Boynton Beach, Florida.
Our Experienced DUI Attorney Can Help Florida Residents and Non-Residents
Adam, Manny, David & Susan understand that bad things sometimes happen to good people. Rossen Law Firm helps people facing DUI charges in Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Palm Beach County and all South Florida by offering information and solutions. At the free strategy sessions, Rossen Law Firm takes the time to make sure you fully understand all your rights so you can decide together how to best move forward to meet your goals. Our dedication to service and aggressive representation have helped many clients just like you.
Take a moment to see what those clients have to say about their experiences, and then call our office to speak with our staff to set up an appointment with our award winning attorneys to find out for yourself.
A DUI charge does not have to ruin your life. Let Adam and his legal team help you fight your Florida DUI charge and protect your future.
To learn more about how DUI charges tend to affect Florida professional licenses, visit our blog: “How to Protect Your Professional License and Yourself when Charged with DUI in Florida“.