Federal Racketeering and RICO Defense Attorney to Fight your Charge in South Florida
We understand you are probably going through a world of emotions. Federal Racketeering and RICO is a serious crime and the government may be subjecting you to an investigation or charges. Altercations with the law are scary and hard to navigate through without an experienced attorney by your side.
What is Federal RICO / Racketeering Crime in Florida?
RICO stands for the Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations Act. This is a United States federal law that allows for the prosecution of people involved in a criminal organization. Racketeering is when one is involved in illegal business activity or a criminal organization. A key point in racketeering is that it is not subject to the actions of one single individual, rather it is when one works with an enterprise that commits illegal activity.
What makes the crime of Federal Racketeering is when the members of the illegal business or organization are located in different states or if the members of the organization have victims who are located in a different state than them.
According to 18 U.S. Code § 1961:
- (1) “racketeering activity” means (A) any act or threat involving murder, kidnapping, gambling, arson, robbery, bribery, extortion, dealing in obscene matter, or dealing in a controlled substance or listed chemical
- (b)It shall be unlawful for any person through a pattern of racketeering activity or through collection of an unlawful debt to acquire or maintain, directly or indirectly, any interest in or control of any enterprise which is engaged in, or the activities of which affect, interstate or foreign commerce.
- “enterprise” includes any individual, partnership, corporation, association, or other legal entity, and any union or group of individuals associated in fact although not a legal entity;
- “pattern of racketeering activity” requires at least two acts of racketeering activity, one of which occurred after the effective date of this chapter and the last of which occurred within ten years (excluding any period of imprisonment) after the commission of a prior act of racketeering activity;
- “unlawful debt” means a debt (A) incurred or contracted in gambling activity which was in violation of the law of the United States, a State or political subdivision thereof, or which is unenforceable under State or Federal law in whole or in part as to principal or interest because of the laws relating to usury, and (B) which was incurred in connection with the business of gambling in violation of the law of the United States, a State or political subdivision thereof, or the business of lending money or a thing of value at a rate usurious under State or Federal law, where the usurious rate is at least twice the enforceable rate.
CONSEQUENCES OF FEDERAL RACKETEERING AND RICO
Federal Racketeering and RICO cases should NOT be taken lightly. The punishments can be severe and could negatively alter your whole future.
- Fines can be hefty. You could have to pay twice the amount of profit you made from racketeering.
- Up to 20 years in federal prison is possible.
- A turnover of illegal profits or other property gained from the crime may also be required.
FEDERAL RACKETEERING AND RICO DEFENSE ATTORNEY IN SOUTH FLORIDA
Don’t panic if you are facing possible Federal Racketeering and RICO charges. You have come across our page, so you can leave the worrying to us.
As federal attorneys with years of experience under our belt, we will ensure that your case has the best possible outcome that does not significantly affect your future for the worse.
Federal Racketeering and RICO Defense Strategies
- Burden of Proof: In order for a case to be deemed as a RICO case, the prosecutors must be able to prove that the defendant was engaging in illegal criminal activity. We can argue that your actions were not of a criminal nature, meaning that you did not violate RICO.
- Lack of Pattern: The prosecutors must provide sufficient evidence that the defendant had a pattern of racketeering. If there is no evidence for a pattern of racketeering activity, we can get the sentence and charges significantly reduced.
- Lack of Enterprise: It is vital that a Federal Racketeering and RICO case is linked to the defendant being part of an actual criminal enterprise. We can argue that there is not sufficient evidence linking the defendant to an enterprise, meaning there is no proof that racketeering activity took place.
Free Racketeering and RICO Defense Strategy Session in South Florida
If you want attorneys who will work day and night to construct an aggressive defense that is unique to your individual case, contact us. We have experience in all types of Federal Racketeering and Rico cases and will gladly tackle your case to make sure you face as little criminal charges as possible.
We offer FREE consultations (we call them strategy sessions) so you know how we’ll work to get the best possible result on your case for you.
Give us a call today:
HOW WE WIN FEDERAL & CRIMINAL DEFENSE CASES IN FLORIDA
- Rossen Law Firm helped a man avoid minimum prison time for a Federal Child Porn possession charge in South Florida.
- Rossen Law Firm gets Credit Card fraud case dropped in Boca Raton, Florida.
- A Mother & Son’s Insurance Fraud Charges Dropped in Fort Lauderdale.