Federal Corporate Espionage Criminal Defense Attorney to Fight your South Florida Charge
We know being arrested for Corporate Espionage can be difficult. Stealing or misappropriating a trade secret is a federal offense which can result in serious penalties.
Though this is quite a serious offense, luckily you are not alone. We have ample experience dealing with these types of cases and are well equipped to handle even the most extensive charges.
What is a Federal Corporate Espionage Crime in Florida?
Corporate Espionage is the act of espionage or using espionage techniques conducted for financial or commercial purposes. Other terms used to describe Corporate Espionage include “industrial espionage,” “economic espionage,” or “corporate spying.” This includes the unlawful targeting or acquisition of sensitive financial, trade or economic policy information, proprietary economic information, or technological information.
Under the Economic Espionage Act of 1996 (EEA), 18 U.S.C. § 1831, "economic espionage" is defined as the theft or misappropriation of a trade secret with the intent or knowledge that the offense will benefit any foreign government, foreign instrumentality, or foreign agent.
- A trade secret includes all forms of business, scientific, technical, economic or engineering information. In essence, this includes a company/organizations’ intellectual property -- intangible creations of the mind which have been patented, trademarked, or copyrighted.
Industrial Espionage, includes the theft of trade secrets by the removal, copying or recording of confidential or valuable information for use by a competitor, while economic espionage, may often be sponsored by any foreign government, foreign instrumentality, or foreign agent.
CONSEQUENCES OF FEDERAL CORPORATE ESPIONAGE
The criminal charges for corporate espionage are not to be taken lightly; even the theft or misappropriation of trade secrets by a competitor -- not a foreign or government entity -- lead to severe charges.
The act of receiving, purchasing, or possessing a trade secret known to have been stolen or misappropriated, as well as any attempt or conspiracy to commit economic espionage are punishable as a federal crime under the economic Espionage Act of 1996 (EEA), 18 U.S.C. § 1831-1839.
Anyone convicted of theft of trade secrets, as defined under 18 U.S.C. §§ 1832, will face up to 10 years of federal imprisonment, while the fines associated -- along with the jail time -- vary on whether it is an individual charged or an organization.
- Organizations face a fine of up to $5 million or 3 times the value of the stolen trade secret.
FEDERAL CORPORATE ESPIONAGE ATTORNEY IN SOUTH FLORIDA
Facing the charges of this federal offense can be alarming. However, you have come to the right place. Facing jail time and heavy fines due to a conviction of corporate espionage is a serious offense, but one that the lawyers of Rossen Law Firm have ample experience with. Having knowledge of cases such as these, we have a range of strategies at our disposal to defend clients who face these convictions.
Federal Corporate Espionage Defense Strategies
- There are a few strategies that can be employed to combat charges of corporate espionage as related to the theft/misappropriation of trade secrets:
- Attempt to show that there is insufficient evidence to prove there as a theft of trade secrets.
- Attempt to show that the information “stolen” was not in fact a secret because the company either did not take adequate steps to protect it or it was information that was common knowledge.
- And many more… We make defense strategies unique to you and the facts of the case brought against you.
Free Federal Corporate Espionage Defense Strategy Session in South Florida
We handle Federal Corporate Espionage cases of all types. We know how to protect your rights and provide you with a personalized and aggressive defense to your criminal charges.
We offer FREE strategy sessions so you know how we’ll work to get the best possible result on your case for you.
Give us a call today:
HOW WE WIN FEDERAL & CRIMINAL DEFENSE CASES IN FLORIDA
- Rossen Law Firm helped a man avoid minimum prison time for a Federal Child Porn possession charge in South Florida.
- Rossen Law Firm gets Credit Card fraud case dropped in Boca Raton, Florida.
- A Mother & Son’s Insurance Fraud Charges Dropped in Fort Lauderdale.