Assault and Battery Criminal Defense Attorney to Fight your charge in Fort Lauderdale and Southt Florida
Criminal charges always feel stressful. Whether you - or someone you know - have been charged with an assault or battery crime, the prospect of jail, finding a lawyer and what this means for your future can certainly be overwhelming. Perhaps you haven’t even been arrested yet, but maybe the police are at your door and you just learned you’re being investigated for a battery or assault crime in South Florida.
We know facing a battery or assault charges can be overwhelming, but Rossen Law Firm is here to offer the strongest and most up to date defense possible.
What is an Assault and Battery Crime in Florida?An assault crime is when someone threatens in word or action to harm someone and creates fear that the harm is unavoidable. A battery crime is when someone actually touches or injures another person against their will.
Legally speaking, Assault is an intentional, unlawful threat by word or act to do violence to the person of another, coupled with an apparent ability to do so, in order to create a well-founded fear in any reasonable person that harm or violence is imminent.
Battery is the actual and intentional touching or striking of another person against that person’s will, or the deliberate causing of bodily harm to another person.
COMMON ASSAULT & BATTERY CRIMES IN FLORIDA
- In Florida, Simple Assault is a deliberate and unlawful threat made by one person towards another in order to create a reasonable fear that violence or injury is imminent.
- Aggravated Assault is an enhanced type of assault charge involving either the use of a deadly weapon or an intent to carry out a felony.
- Simple Battery is the actual and intentional touching or striking of another person against that person’s will, or the deliberate causing of bodily harm to another person.
- Felony Battery is any intentional and unwanted touching or striking, which results in great bodily harm to another person or which occurs after a prior conviction for battery.
- Aggravated Battery is the deliberate touching of another person with the intent to cause great bodily harm or to use a deadly weapon.
- Battery on a Police Officer is defined as the touching or striking of a law enforcement officer engaged in the lawful execution of a legal duty.
- In Florida, Resisting Arrest With Violence occurs when a defendant intentionally resists or obstructs police by committing or offering to commit a violent act towards an officer who is engaged in a lawful duty.
CONSEQUENCES OF ASSAULT & BATTERY CRIMES IN FLORIDA
Simple Assault is a second-degree misdemeanor. Penalties can go up to 60 days in jail or 6 months probation, and a fine of $500. Aggravated Assault is a third-degree felony in Florida with penalties of up to 5 years in prison or 5 years probation, and a $5,000 fine.
Punishments can increase significantly to include a mandatory prison sentence of up to 20 years, if a firearm is actually possessed and discharged during the course of an incident.
In Florida, Simple Battery is a first-degree misdemeanor. Penalties can include jail or probation for up to one year, and a fine of up to $1,000. Felony Battery, Battery on a Police Officer, and Resisting Arrest with Violence are third-degree felonies with maximum penalties of up to 5 years of imprisonment or 5 years of probation, and fines reaching $5,000.
Aggravated Battery is generally classified as a second-degree felony, punishable by up to 15 years in prison or 15 years of probation, and up to $10,000 in fines. The penalties for Aggravated Battery increase significantly where the offense at issue involves the possession or discharge of a firearm. In those instances, upon conviction, Florida’s 10-20-Life Law will mandate prison time dependent on the severity of the harm caused.
ASSAULT & BATTERY DEFENSE ATTORNEY IN SOUTH FLORIDA
If you, or someone you know, is facing an assault or battery charge - you’ve come to the right place. Rossen Law Firm has extensive experience providing a compassionate and expert defense to assault and battery charges.
Facing a criminal charge is not easy. Your life, job, family, record, and your finances are at stake. We take you through different scenarios of what can happen, and discuss what your goals are both for now and the future.
If you’re facing assault or battery charges, give our office a call. We’ll listen to your story and discuss the best course of action for you. One mistake shouldn’t have the power to ruin your life, and we’re here to help ensure that’s true for you.
Free Assault and Battery Criminal Defense Strategy Session in South Florida
We handle assault and battery cases of all types. We know how to protect your rights and provide you with a personalized and aggressive defense to your criminal charges.
Rossen Law Firms offers a FREE strategy session so you know how we’ll strategize to get the best possible outcome for your case.
Give us a call today:
See all locations Rossen Law Firm practices Assault & Battery Defense.
HOW WE WIN ASSAULT & BATTERY CASES IN FLORIDA
- Learn how we got Aggravated Assault Charges and Battery case dropped with no charges in Miramar, Florida.
- Learn how Rossen Law Firm got a Battery on Detention Staff charge dismissed in North Miami Beach, Florida.