When you’re facing DUI charges, there are probably a lot of scary questions through your mind….
- Am I going to jail?
- Am I going to have a criminal record?
- Will I lose my job?
- How will this affect my family?
- How do I find a good lawyer?
And while you may be worried about how much a good lawyer is going to cost you, you are probably unaware of just how much a DUI can cost you if you don’t find that good attorney.
The national average for the cost of a first DUI conviction is $12,771.
That’s a lot of money. But of course, Florida is well above average when it comes to DUI costs.
When it comes to the average cost of a first DUI conviction in Florida, you’re looking at about $15,255.
So where does this number come from? Let’s break it down:
- Increased car insurance rates—sometimes up to $1500 more per year.
- FR44 Insurance. Florida and Virginia are the only 2 states in the country that require this type of insurance after a DUI conviction. This special insurance is expensive. It can cost you up to $300 per month—and that’s separate from an increase in your regular car insurance. You’ll have to have it for 3 years. $300 per month for 36 months is $10,800.00
- You’ve also got $1,000 in court fees and fines
- $225 in hardship license fees (if you can get one)
- Towing fees of about $250
- Roughly $175 to boot your car
- $450 in probation costs
- $280 for DUI school
- $75 for Mother’s Against Drunk Driving
- About $500 in treatment costs
- And let’s not forget your license will be gone for 6-12 months. You’ll be spending money renting a car, taking a taxi, Uber, or public transportation. And we all know how bad Florida’s public transportation system is. So you’re looking at another $500 or more here.
But even more importantly, here’s one of the most critical costs that you can’t put a number on—a DUI CONVICTION STAYS ON YOUR RECORD. It cannot be expunged. Every potential employer can see it on your record. It will never go away.
Investing in a skilled lawyer who focuses on DUI cases is the best decision you can make for yourself. The last thing you want or need is a DUI conviction on your record. A good DUI lawyer knows what to do. A good DUI lawyer will give you the best defense possible to help you avoid a conviction. And if you look at the numbers, a good DUI lawyer can cost you less than half of what you’ll probably end up paying for a conviction.
If you’re still on the fence, talk to us about your concerns. Our office is always here to listen. Schedule a free consultation and we’ll be happy to speak with you directly.