Not Having a Good DUI Lawyer Could Cost You More Than $15,000 in Fort Lauderdale or South Florida
When you’re facing DUI charges, there are probably many scary questions running through your mind….
- Am I going to jail?
- Will I have a criminal record?
- Will I lose my job?
- How will this affect my family?
- How do I find a good lawyer?
While you may be worried about how much a good DUI lawyer could cost you, you are probably unaware of just how much a DUI can cost you if you don’t find a good attorney.
The national average for the cost of a first DUI conviction is $12,771. The average cost of a DUI in Florida is just under $3,500 in fines alone, according to the Bradenton Times.
That’s a lot of money. But of course, Florida is well above average when it comes to DUI costs.
When it comes to the average cost of a first DUI conviction in Florida, you’re looking at about $15,255.
So where does this number come from? Let’s break it down:
- Increased car insurance rates—sometimes up to $1,500 more per year. Some reports note even up to $3,000 and $6,000 increases to car insurance in Florida.
- FR44 Insurance. Florida and Virginia are the only 2 states in the country that require this type of insurance after a DUI conviction. This special insurance is expensive. It can cost you up to $300 per month—and that’s separate from an increase in your regular car insurance. You’ll have to have it for 3 years. $300 per month, for 36 months, is $10,800.00
- You’ll have $1,000 in court fees and fines
- $225 in hardship driver's license fees (if you can get one)
- Towing fees of about $250
- Roughly $175 to boot your car
- $450 in probation costs
- $280 for DUI school
- $75 for Mothers Against Drunk Driving
- About $500 in treatment costs
- And let’s not forget your license will be gone for 6-12 months. You’ll be spending money renting a car, taking a taxi, Uber, or public transportation. And we all know how bad Florida’s public transportation system is. So you’re looking at another $500 or more here.
- Notice what’s not listed here? Attorney fees. Attorney fees could be anywhere from $2,000 to maybe even $15,000 in Florida. Rather than looking for the cheapest price, you want to find the attorney who can get you the BEST result - as the worse the results of your case, the more money you will owe in all areas mentioned above.
But even more importantly, here’s one of the most critical costs that you can’t put a number on—a DUI CONVICTION STAYS ON YOUR RECORD.
It cannot be expunged. Every potential employer can see it on your record. It will never go away.
Investing in a skilled lawyer who focuses on DUI cases is the best decision you can make for yourself. The last thing you want or need is a DUI conviction on your record. A good South Florida DUI lawyer knows what to do. A good DUI attorney will give you the best defense possible to help you avoid a conviction. And if you look at the numbers, a good DUI lawyer can cost you less than half of what you’ll probably end up paying for a conviction.
Want a Free South Florida DUI Consultation with Award-winning attorneys?
If you’re still on the fence, talk to us about your concerns. Our office is always here to listen. Schedule a free strategy session and we’ll be happy to speak with you directly.
Give us a call to schedule today!